Sunday, February 20, 2011

Art Bike with Wings

Art exhibit at the end of the ride
 If I ran for president it would be on a platform of the simple intelligence of bikes. I had a good bike in NYC and used it with fever, crossing the Brooklyn bridge, shooting to the Grand Army Plaza farmer's market. It was my method of travel when we lived by the Lower East River in Red Hook, but Lynn Hill and New Hampshire distances put my biking in a moribund state.
Mr. Goe (real name) is a JAL pilot who was leaving Nagoya and had a lovely Land Rover bike that he was happy to sell me. Recently I've have been whipping around exploring Higashi ku and looking at the snow covered mountains that beckon in the distance. Today we would be happy with parks and an art show at the end.

With Kaime in front of me we made for Heiwa Koen (Peace Park-- which, as it turns out, is occupied to a great extend by the no longer living). We climbed a great hill and at a temple on the top there was a priest burning something (it reminded me of the ghats on the Ganges in Varanasi). Down at the pond we ate our lunch and watched some Japanese and  ducks fishing. (Of the two groups the ducks were more graceful, active and hopefully somewhat more successful than their human counterparts.
K plays for the ducks
 We pedaled back to Chayagasaka Koen (Tea Shop Hill Park) and Kaime climbed on the sundial.
climbing 
.
From there we headed back down the hill and homeward where close to the Nagoya Dome at a College of Education there was art show by the students of Yumiko's old college art teacher,
We had to park our bike down in the subterranean labyrinths (but there were conveyor belts to help you bring the bikes back up on the way out.)

It was good to go to an art show again--it's been such awhile--and it was just minutes from our home by foot or bike.A nice aperitif  after riding up and down hill-- boy in front of me--through city streets, searching for that elusive Japanese view. Here were young artists full of ideas and passion doing it--learning to do it. It put me in a moving, curving state of mind--like surfing--that I like a lot.

It's doubly fun to look at art in foreign countries. Somehow the language element falls away and my local biases and prejudices are somewhat suspended.


Anvil Zone

Fish in a pond
Green and light blue plays
Right in the middle
The wind blows
About your lips

And dreamed
I heard a quiet time
In the anvil zone

Ever if ever
A line could hold
So much





And dreamed
I heard a quiet time
In the anvil zone

Ever if ever
A line could hold
Most dear to me
So much




 
Pulsing
Toward the middle
Rocking
Pulling,
Toward the abyss
Intermittent showers
Spirits in the next room
Cut the lights

Such simple strokes
A silhouette
Legs by early morning
I exhale pools
Blow out green and violet
And watch you crying
Colored world


Seems like a fine day today. Big interview at 1:30. I'd better go out and explore...日本。ではまた。

No comments:

Post a Comment